The BREEAM UK New Construction 2018 scheme is just around the corner, so we thought we’d highlight some of the changes we think you’d like to know about.
- The BUG is no longer a mandatory requirement, however if you are going to produce one under Man04, 2 will now be required – one for technical and one for non-technical users. The same is applicable for the training schedule.
- The IAQ for Hea02 will now be a pre-requisite to achieve credits under this issue.
- Hea03 Safe Containment in Laboratories is no longer assessed as a separate issue within this scheme.
- A new Hea07 Safe and Healthy Surroundings issue is introduced. The aim is to encourage the provision of safe access around the site and outdoor space that enhances the wellbeing of building users. The safe access requirements you are familiar with under Hea06 will be encompassed in Hea07.
- The transport section has been revamped, with Tra01 addressing the transport assessment and travel plan, and Tra02 Sustainable Transport Measures – up to 10 credits are available based on the number of sustainable options available. There are no other issues within this section.
- Mat01 encompasses the previous hard landscaping and boundary protection issue, with 6 credits available for the superstructure, and 1 for substructure and landscaping.
- Mat02 Environmental Impacts from Construction Products is an addition where 1 credit can be awarded for EPDs.
- Mat04 Insulation is no longer assessed as a separate issue within this scheme.
- Wst01 will have an additional credit available for the pre-demolition audit.
- The ecology section focuses more on long term positive impacts that the development has on the site and its surroundings. 13 credits are available in total, with 2 different routes to achieving them. Route 1 is for more simple projects; route 2 is for more complex projects and will require appointment of an SQE.
- Pol02 Local Air Quality moves away from a sole focus on NOx emissions and looks to address general local air quality.
We will be launching the 2018 scheme on Tracker Plus in March to coincide with the BRE’s launch.